My Blog List

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Thursday morning,


Ahhh, breakfast, the best part of the day. And today, the day of the eve of Xmas we begin with our favorite buttermilk pancakes a la David Rosengarten, of course.
I have to say, Wylder and Georgia love licking the batter more than the finished product, but after much fuss and preparations and table setting and honey and pasting the butter in a face shaped lumps on the pancakes, (on top of the butter which the recipe calls for anyway) it takes five minutes for every one to gobble down the food and vroooom. . . . they disperse .
My favorite part is the deserted table left behind.
Some of the kitchen wear you are looking at is from the collection of Daniel's designs.
Today we make the Boeuf Bourguinon!
Georgia speeds into my face every 10 minutes or so (or should I say everyone minute) to ask "when do we start?"
I suggested pancakes as something to make while waiting to make, but apparently it was no match for the great expectations.
Georgia is always waiting for that which comes next. I suppose ( I hope) this is typical of some 7 year olds. Such impatiens would be very difficult to live with, I would think.
We decided the endless stages of browning reducing and simmering (because David Rosenarten adds a few stages to Julia Childs') will begin at 2 pm so that we can eat around 6pm.
But Daniel and I are already sharing a glass of red wine (at 12pm) with a bite of brie (we got for desert) and some lovely country bread (which the recipe requires) just to get in the mood.
I am glad to report that Georgia has tasted her first bite of Brie and loved it!



I realize, as I am documenting our life, how much detail and love we give to what we eat and how we put it on the table. How better to depict the heart of a family than through our eating habits.
Seeing what is turning up on my posts I realize also how badly I have been yearning to find people, another couple, like us. To invite over for elaborate meals some times. To venture out to the many ethnic incredible restaurants waiting to be discovered in the vastness of this town. Of course, this must be a couple with kids who is used to and willing to the struggle in takes to enjoy a restaurant meal with two young children. Indeed not easy, but I'm sure that somewhere out there, there is a family like us, who travels in a pack and takes their kids everywhere and love food at the same time! Are u out there???????
It is 12pm on this lazy day and better hit the shower before I get too tipsy to care.
to report back soon.



The aromas in the apartment are intoxicating.
one bottle of Pinot Noir Bourgongne later we are all ready to eat, well, except Wylder who is on his third green apple and seems to be oblivious to the fragrant air he is inhaling.
after 3 hours in the oven it's time for the finishing touches which include adding the caramelized pearl onions, the white mushrooms sauteed in butter,the pork bits that have been reduced to crispiness and the thickening sauce -Beurre Manie.
I take a spoon full of sauce to check for flavor . .. .  layers of flavor attack my tongue.  We have made Texas chili not too long ago (in August), but this is soooo rich.
6:30 we finally sit down to eat with yet another glass of wine, simple baked potato's and some of that wonderful country bread, . . .
wish the pictures could yield some of the aromas here.


















desert was kept simple tonight, more brie and then fresh dark chocolate with nuts,
And, of course, a freshly brewed cup of tea.
Tonight's flavor of choice, a soothing - Pasiflora (Passion Fruit).













Still taking orders . . . .. :-)


Daniel's night cap
was. . . .









After the kids had fallen asleep Daniel and I made love in our bed.
Yes, in the room with the kids sleeping all around us.
The thing about making love in a room with your kids is knowing your own kids.
As for my kids, when they're asleep, they're asleep.
It's as simple as that.
I felt like we were in a boat, rocking gently to a somewhat drunken calm ocean rhythm.
The walls were still emanating wine fumes and so was our breath, all of ours, it seemed.
We were tired. It had been a long satisfying day of cooking, but most exhausting of all, as it turns out, is the waiting.
Sweet Dreams, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment